Posted 29 March 2021 by Ella Flemyng (Methods Implementation Manager)
We seek one representative from the methods community (either a Methods Group Convenor or active Methods Group member) to sit on the Cochrane Council. This is an exciting opportunity for methods community members to engage with and contribute to the internal organisation of Cochrane.
The position starts immediately on appointment (likely July 2021).
Please note the deadline for applications is 30 April 2021.
What is the Cochrane Council?
The Cochrane Council was established in November 2016 at the recommendation of the Governing Board. The Council aims to ensure that Cochrane Groups retain an effective voice in Cochrane’s leadership and strategic decision-making. The purpose of the Council is to provide:
- a forum for Cochrane Groups to consider high-level matters affecting Cochrane as a whole;
- a mechanism to raise matters and provide input to the Board on behalf of Cochrane Groups and members; and
- a forum to consider matters at the request of the Board and inform Board deliberations.
The Cochrane Council is comprised of 16 members:
- Centre and Branch Directors’ Executive (2 members)
- Cochrane Consumer Network Executive (2 members)
- Co-ordinating Editors’ Executive (2 members)
- Managing Editors’ Executive (2 members)
- Author’s Forum (2 members)
- Information Specialists Executive (2 members)
- Fields’ Executive (2 members)
- Methods Groups and Network (2 members)
The term of Council membership is three years. Members may be re-appointed through the normal process established by their constituency but may not serve longer than six years in total.
Details of the open position on the Cochrane Council
The Methods representatives on the Council represent the Cochrane methods community. We are therefore looking for a Cochrane methods community member (either a Methods Group Convenor or active Methods Group member) with a proven track record in making contributions to Cochrane methods and Methods Groups, and who understand their issues. We seek active methods community members, with either expertise or a keen interest in methods covered by one or more of our Methods Groups and motivated to work on cross-cutting topics for the benefit of the Cochrane community as a whole.
Methods representatives on the Cochrane Council automatically sit on the Methods Executive (see the Methods Executive Terms of Reference) in a deputising role. Methods Executive teleconference attendance is rotated between the two Council methods members, in person meetings at the Cochrane Governance meetings and Cochrane Colloquium are attended by both Methods representatives.
- A term of office for three years
- Participation in up to six Council and three/four Methods Executive teleconferences per year
- Attendance at Cochrane Governance meetings and Cochrane Colloquium
- Support all Council and Methods Executive activities including participating in subgroups and report writing
We are unable to provide financial remuneration for this position, although we would cover any expenses incurred in the course of Council activity, such as travel and accommodation, based on prior agreement.
Please note: following a successful application, members will be required to complete a conflict of interest disclosure. Cochrane’s Conflict of Interests and Commercial Sponsorship Policy are available here and here.
For more information please contact Sarah Nevitt (Sarah.Nevitt@liverpool.ac.uk), Council Methods representative.