Disease burden should help guide research prioritization. The Global Burden of Disease (GBD) Study 2010 compiled data from 1990 to 2010 on 291 diseases and injuries, 1160 disease and injury sequel, and 67 risk factors in 187 countries. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR)is the leading resource for systematic reviews in healthcare, which represent the gold-standard of “evidence-based medicine.” This project seeks to establish an exercise mapping cause-specific disease burden determined by the GBD Study to corresponding systematic reviews and protocols of clinical interventions targeting the same diseases in CDSR. Do more disabling diseases have greater representation in CDSR?
1. Bhaumik S, Karimkhani C, Czaja CA, Williams HC, Rani M, Nasser M, et al. Identifying gaps in research prioritization: The global burden of neglected tropical diseases as reflected in the Cochrane database of systematic reviews. J Family Med Prim Care 2015;4:507-13.
2. Karimkhani C, Boyers LN, Prescott L, et al. Global Burden of Skin Disease as Reflected in Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. JAMA Dermatol. 2014;150(9):945-951. doi:10.1001/jamadermatol.2014.709.
3. Pederson H, Okland T, Boyers LN, et al. Identifying Otolaryngology Systematic Review Research Gaps: Comparing Global Burden of Disease 2010 Results With Cochrane Database of Systematic Review Content. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015;141(1):67-72. doi:10.1001/jamaoto.2014.2700.
4. Boyers LN, Karimkhani C, Hilton J, Richheimer W, Dellavalle RP. Global Burden of Eye and Vision Disease as Reflected in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2015;133(1):25-31. doi:10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2014.3527.
5. Alignment of systematic reviews published in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews and the Database of Abstracts and Reviews of Effectiveness with global burden-of-disease data: a bibliographic analysis. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2015 Jul; 69(7):708-14
6. Karimkhani C, Trikha R, Aksut B, Jones T, Boyers LN, Schlichte M, Pederson H, Okland T, DiGuiseppi C, Nasser M, Naghavi M, Vos T, Yoong SL, Wolfenden L, Murray CJ, Dellavalle RP. Identifying gaps for research prioritisation: Global burden of external causes of injury as reflected in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. Injury. 2016 Jan 12. PMID: 26804937
7. Okland T, Karimkhani C, Pederson H, Boyers LN, Sawyer MD, Rove KO, Kenny MC, Steinberg S, Naghavi M, Dellavalle RP. Research prioritization of men's health and urologic diseases.Int Braz J Urol. 2017 Jan 27;43. PMID:28128909
Karimkhani C, Aksut B, Boyers L, Nasser M, Hilton J, Mavergames C, Naghavi M, Forouzanfar M, Moran AE, Murray CJL, Dellavalle RP, Gray WA. Global burden of heart disease in 2010 and representation in The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. (Submitted)
Stephens P, Karimkhani C, Boyers L, Dellavalle RP. Global burden of cancer in 2010 and representation in The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. (in preparation)
Dmitruk S, Karimkhani C, Boyers L, Dellavalle RP. Global burden of infectious diseases in 2010 and representation in The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. (in preparation)