Cochrane Methods Groups base their activities around the six core functions outlined by Cochrane. These are:
1. Providing policy advice.
2. Providing training and support.
3. Conducting methodological research.
4. Helping to monitor the quality of Cochrane Reviews.
5. Serving as a forum for discussion.
6. Ensuring that the group functions interactively within The Cochrane Collaboration.
Each Methods Group carries out its work in line with some or all of these functions, as described in more detail in this section.
Cochrane Statistical Methods Group has a broad scope which covers issues relating to statistical methods, training, software, and research, together with attempting to ensure that adequate statistical and technical support is available to review groups.